My favourite kitchen tools

Everyone who cooks has an arsenal of favourite kitchen tools.
These are among my most indispensable ones.


This is one of the most used tools in my kitchen.
It's a form of whisk of which I have several in different sizes.
I use them for :
- beating an egg or two,
- stirring gravy and sauces.
(It whips lumps smooth and keeps
sauces from sticking to the bottom of the pot)
- frothing an egg white
- stirring mayonnaise and sour cream into dips and dressings
making them lump free.


Here are 2 similar tools with different uses.
The one in the back is a pastry blender
the one in front is a potato masher
They are sturdy, with tines that don't bend and handles that are easy to grip.


Two more tools I use a lot.
The one above is a bench scraper. It has many uses:
-to scrape up the bits of pastry, or bun dough or glued on food bits that dry on the counter.
-to scoop up chopped vegetables or nuts
-to slice squares and cakes (it does a lovely job of this)
to lift and serve a slice of chilled dessert

The tool at the bottom is a microplane or zester
Again, I have several.
- this one which finely grates lemon zest or parmesan cheese
- one that has a coarser cut for chocolate and hard cheeses
- and one that cuts longer ribbons


I could not work in a kitchen without several of these close by.
They are spatulas.
I love these silicone ones, because they can be safely used in cooking and don't stain.
I must have 8 or 9, in different widths and sizes.
They are in constant use:
- scraping every last yummy bit of goodness out of a bowl or bottle,
- stirring a sauce as it cooks
- turning potatoes and onions as they sizzle in a pan
- scraping the edges of the bowl as I mix up batters and doughs.
- folding whipped cream or beaten egg whites into cake batter and desserts


This last tool I'll feature today is a form of mandoline or slicer.
This one slices only one thickness but makes perfect, very thin slices.
I use it for slicing cabbage, onions and potatoes.
It would be great for thinly sliced apples or pears, carrots or cucumbers.
It has a plastic guard with points that hold the vegetable
so that you don't end up adding a sliced finger tip to the mix.

These are just a few of the kitchen tools I use almost every day.
What are the things you can't cook without?

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »