Dinner to Go

I have been asked on occasion for suggestions as to what kind of meals to take to those who are sick, shut-in or for new moms.  As I was preparing a meal for a friend who is undergoing cancer treatments...I thought I would share my meal prep ideas with you.  A meal of soup, buns/bread and dessert is very basic...and always easy to transport.

 Toscano Soup
Bran Buns
Rustic Rhubarb Apple Pies


Toscano soup is always a favorite of mine at the Olive Garden...and we happen to have two similar soups on our blog.  The soup I cooked up the other day was based on those recipes...Char's version and Lovella's version.   Other soups that I have taken on the road are January Skiers Soup, green bean soup, borscht, and cauliflower cheese soup.

I thought I would post the recipe for bran buns...which have been a staple over here through the years...but found Charlotte had already posted a very similar recipe...so I'll just link to that.  Another favorite bread recipe which is easy to prepare quickly for 'dinner to go', is Anneliese's French bread.  It makes two loaves...so you can enjoy one and share one. 
 
As for the rustic pie for dessert...I combined rhubarb and apple (with rhubarb fresh from the garden).  Each free-form pie uses pastry for a single pie crust and approximately 1/2 the filling of a regular fruit pie. There are a few varieties of rustic pies posted on our blog....check out Betty's peach plum galette and Lovella's rustic rhubarb pie.   Rustic pies are simple and quick to make...and so delicious with a scoop of ice-cream.


Those are my dinner-to-go menu suggestions for today.   So...cook up a pot of soup, bake some bread to go with it, add a simple dessert and share it with someone who needs a little encouragement.  And remember to package your meal in such a way, that nothing needs to be returned! 


Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »