Coconut "Buds" (cookies)

I got this recipe from my Aunt Emmy when I was still a teenager.
My Dad loves it when I make a batch of these for him.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup shortening (no substitutes)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • Maraschino cherries, each cut into quarters (opt.)
Method:
  1. Mix shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended.
  2. Add dry ingredients and coconut mixing well. The dough will be a bit crumbly.
  3. Form into 1 inch balls, pressing dough together.
  4. Carefully press each ball with the tines of a fork.
  5. Blot maraschino cherry pieces on a paper towel.
  6. Carefully press a cherry piece into the middle of each cookie. (I hold the edges of the cookie together so it doesn't crumble.)
  7. Bake at 350º for about 12 minutes. Do not overbake. The cookies should be white with just a hint of browning on the bottom.

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »